Consumer's Telegramm European Edition
If you wish to be informed monthly about European consumer news, just subscribe
our free newsletter.
Consumer's Telegram January 2007Insert of n. 7 - Editorial office: Centro Europeo Consumatori (European Consumer Centre, Bolzano - Italy)
Flights of Club Air and Air Madrid discontinued - what Affected Passengers can do.A few days before the Christmas holidays the flights of the two ‚low cost' airlines Club Air and Club Madrid were stopped. The annulment of those flights resulted in very unpleasant situations for the passengers who had bought a ticket in order to go on holiday or to return home to spend their Christmas holidays: They were forced to buy a new ticket from another airline or even to do without the planned trip.
We would like to remind all affected consumers that it is necessary to send a registered letter with reply paid to the corresponding airline, in which you mention the paid price as well as the additional costs (for example, the price difference for another ticket) in order to ask compensation for the useless ticket and the additional costs. A sample letter for this matter can be found on our homepage.
10 Tips to be SafeThe EEJ has collected some tips that should give you a hand when looking for your ideal partner:
1) You should contact several bureaus in order to confront their liability
2) Be patient: There are no bargains and keep in mind that you are looking for your ideal partner!
3) Before signing you should ask for a copy of the contract that you can take home and read carefully. The EEJ Service will be happy to control the contract together with you.
4) Your partner profile (that is the list of 'optionals' which your partner should possess) should be quite objective: restrict yourself to concrete features like age, job, origin
5) The partner's profile (or the ad which you reply) should be integrated in the contract. In that way you can prove that the bureau did not fulfil the terms of the contract, if they do not respect the profile or the ad.
6) Ask for a copy of all documents (contact, profiles etc.)
7) If you want to rescind from the contract (within a period of 10 working days after signing), you have to do this with a registered letter with reply paid.
8) Ask to get the partner proposals by registered mail. If they do not correspond with your profile you should inform the bureau in a written form.
9) Please think twice about if you really have enough money to sign such a contrct. It is always a bad deal to pay by instalments or to sign financing contracts: very often the debit interests are much too high
10) Get detailed information about the possibilities of an abnormal termination of the contract (f. ex. after 6 months). It can cost you a lot to drop out in advance because in any case you have to pay the partner proposals you already got.
Study VisitIn the third week of December the EEJ Italy (represented by one team mate from the offices of Rome and Bolzano) together with the EEJ Denmark paid a visit to the EEJ of Madrid. During this meeting especially the issue of timesharing was discussed, as all three offices had and will have to deal with several problems concerning this matter.
The term ‚timesharing' describes the right to use a certain apartment for a scheduled period of time during the term of a contract.
It was really interesting to share the experiences with the Spanish and Danish team mates.
via Brennero 3
I - 39100 Bolzano
tel.: ++39 0471 980939
fax: ++39 0471 980239